OCS uses the Firsthand Advisers platform to serve two purposes – to connect students with alumni and to host virtual career fairs. See below for details about each function. This tool is available to current students from Harvard College, GSAS, and Extension School students in degree-granting programs.
Access the OCS Firsthand Advisers platform using these simple steps:
- Visit https://harvardocs.firsthand.co/.
- Click the “Get Advice” button.
- If it is your first time accessing Firsthand, use the "No password yet?" link to have a password sent to your Harvard email address. Otherwise use the password you created or the “Forgot password?” option.
Complete Your Profile. The following fields are required for your profile to be considered complete:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Current Location
Education (required for each degree):
- School Name
- Graduation Year
- Field of Study
- Career Goals (“I’m really not sure” is an option)
- For more information, review the How to Register video tutorial.
Virtual Career Fairs
The OCS Firsthand Advisers platform will be used for several fall career fairs. Employers will each have a virtual booth - an online space where they can share information, resources, and connect with students. No two employer booths will be the same, as employers may choose which of the following features to use:
- Booth Resources
- Group Sessions
- Discussion Forums
- Resume Drops
- One-on-One Conversations (pre-registration required)
For more information, review the following resources:
- OCS Virtual Career Fair Tips
- OCS Firsthand Career Fair Tips
- How to Register video tutorial
- How to Navigate the Booths video tutorial
- How to Book One-on-One Conversations video tutorial
Connecting with Alumni
The OCS Firsthand Advisers platform connects students with alumni virtually from a variety of Harvard schools who have worked at top organizations worldwide and have volunteered to support current students in their career pursuits. This tool features:
- Nearly 1,500 alumni across a variety of industries and professions.
- Ability to search alumni by field of study, industry, employer, and area of expertise.
- Scheduling and connection tools to engage in “flash mentoring.”
- Options for a one-on-one career chat, resume review, or mock interview.
- “Group” features that connect students and alumni across specific affinity and interest areas.
- Critical advice from alumni in the post-COVID economy.
- Over 500 new advisers that have been added since the COVID outbreak, thanks to outreach by the Harvard Alumni Association.
There are also several thousand professionals on OCS Firsthand Advisers who are not Harvard alumni, but are still available to you free of charge.