Did you know that over 300 GSAS Alumni have recently signed up on Firsthand Advisers (https://harvardocs.firsthand.co/) to talk to you about your career and help you with your job search? Alumni have master’s and PhD’s in most disciplines and represent a variety of employment sectors, and they are eager to speak with you!
What is it: Harvard alumni (including many master’s and PhD’s) from around the world have volunteered to:
* Have a career conversation with you,
* Review your resume,
* Conduct a mock interview.
What to do: Look over alumni profiles and sign up for conversations with alumni from a variety of different disciplines, fields, and employment sectors.
How to do it: To participate, go to the Firsthand Advisers platform (https://harvardocs.firsthand.co/), click the “Get Advice” button and set a password. Then use the platform to schedule a time to connect with alumni who match your interests.
What to say: Check out the OCS “Building Professional Connections” booklet to prepare and to get the most out of your Flash Mentoring discussion. Questions might include:
* What was your first job after you left Harvard?
* What skills did you learn in your PhD that have helped you throughout your career?
* What do you enjoy most about your job and what are the challenges?
* What growth opportunities are there for people graduating with a PhD in my discipline?
* Based on my skills, education, and experience, what other career paths might you suggest I explore?
* Who else would you recommend I speak with?
Explore options, get connecting and jump start your career during GSAS Flash Mentoring Week!
*Firsthand is a proprietary product that OCS has purchased for student use.