The Harvard Summer School (HSS) Tuition Waiver is a great option for eligible students who want to virtually study at Harvard during summer 2021.
Eligibility and Details:
- Harvard College students who are not graduating Spring 2021, and have been enrolled remotely for the fall and spring semesters of the 2020-2021 academic year and did not live on campus.
- Eligible students should receive a communication from the College stating that they are eligible.
- The waiver includes two Harvard Summer School (HSS) courses (or the equivalent of 8 credits).
- Students must select courses that count for Harvard College credit.
- The tuition waiver represents a full-time educational experience worth approximately $7,000. The Summer 2021 Funding Policy states that you can only accept one source of Harvard funding for summer 2021. If you accept the Harvard Summer School (HSS) tuition waiver, it counts as your one source of Harvard funding for summer 2021 only. Taking the HSS waiver in summer 2021 will not impact your eligibility for Harvard funding for future summers.
HSS Course Registration:
- Summer School course registration opens on March 2, 2021.
- Registration is directly through the Summer School (students do not register through My.Harvard for Summer School courses).
- Please see the Summer School website for directions on creating your account and registering for courses.
- Students interested in limited enrollment courses may wish to create an account and register early in the spring as classes may fill, however, many courses are open enrollment. (See availability notes within the Summer School Course Catalog.)
- A list of Summer School frequently asked questions is available on the Summer School website.
- For further registration inquiries Students can contact the Summer School Enrollment Services team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applying for the Tuition Waiver
- The Office of Career Services (OCS) will work with HSS to administer the Tuition Waiver for eligible students.
When students are ready to commit to attending HSS courses as their one funded summer experience, they should:
- Complete the OCS HSS Tuition Waiver Application in CARAT (opens on March 2, 2021).
- The final deadline for the Tuition Waiver Application is April 7, 2021.
- Accepting the Tuition Waiver will not affect a student’s chance of receiving summer funding in the future.
- PLEASE NOTE: The OCS HSS Tuition Waiver Application must be filled out separately from course registration at the Summer School.
Important Note about HSS Billing:
If you have completed all the necessary steps above for the Tuition Waiver, your waiver will transfer automatically to the Summer School and appear in your Summer School student account in early to mid-May (prior to the May 17 payment deadline) at which time your student account balance will be updated to reflect the waiver. Until then, you will receive billing information from the Summer School.
- March 2, 2021 – Harvard Summer School registration opens
- March 2, 2021 – OCS HSS Tuition Waiver Application opens in CARAT
- April 7, 2021 – Deadline for students to complete the OCS HSS Tuition Wavier Application in CARAT
- April 16, 2021 – Confirmation email sent to all students who applied and are eligible for the HSS tuition waiver
- April 19, 2021 – Deadline for students to accept or decline the HSS tuition waiver