If you are interested in pursuing an international internship or research assistantship, apply for OCS funding following the instructions below. You do not need to have your internship or research assistantship confirmed before the funding application deadline. You will need to have an opportunity confirmed by late March to be considered.
International students are welcome to apply to opportunities outside of the U.S. or their home country.
- February 6, 2020, 5:00pm - Deadline to apply for OCS funding
- Early March 2020 - Interviews for funding
- Late March 2020 - Funding notifications go out on rolling basis
- Late March/early April 2020 - Deadline to accept/decline funding award
- April 10, 2020 - Deadline to submit pre-departure requirements to receive funding
Who Can Apply for Funding?:
OCS can only fund students who:
- Have internships or research assistantships that are 8 weeks or longer, in one region and country
- Are in good academic standing at time of application and departure
- Are current Harvard College undergraduates, 1st-year through 1st semester senior.
- Are not on leave spring or fall 2020.
**Preference will be given to students who have NOT received prior funding **
How to Apply:
- Apply directly to the organization with which you want to intern or conduct research
- Enroll in direct deposit. See instructions here.
Apply in CARAT to “Summer 2020-OCS Funding Application for An 8-Week International or Research Assistantship” by February 6, 2020, 5pm EST with the following materials :
- Proof of application or acceptance to organization (or email correspondence showing you have inquired about internship or research opportunities).
- Completed 8-Week Independent Internship and Research Assistantship Form, saved in PDF format.
- One-page resume (.pdf, see OCS templates for guidance).
- Unofficial Transcript, available under "View Unofficial Transcript" link in the Grades tab of my.harvard.edu.
- One recommendation letter from a Harvard affiliate (faculty, TFs, proctors, tutors, academic advisers, coaches, mentors, supervisors, etc.). We cannot accept letters written by current undergraduate students, family members, or people outside the Harvard community. Make sure to complete this step well in advance of the funding deadline so your recommender has time to submit the letter.
- Proof of Direct Deposit enrollment (screenshot pdf) - Submit a pdf screenshot from the "Student Accounts" section from my.harvard.edu that demonstrates that you are enrolled in direct deposit.
How Much is Awarded?:
- Between $5000-$7000, based on country-level cost-of-living stipend determined by Global Support Services and OCS.
- OCS will also pay for the summer savings requirement for students on financial aid who receive certain grants.
OCS Will NOT Fund:
- Internships in high risk countries or regions
- Internships in multiple countries or regions or for less than 8 weeks
- Thesis or independent research – for independent research funding, consider applying to your department, Harvard centers, or to Office of Undergraduate Research and Fellowships.
Important Note About Award Amounts:
- Each year, OCS is only able to fund about 50% of eligible funding applications - funding decisions are made by a committee and are not based on financial need.
- Not all students on financial aid are funded.
- It is the student’s responsibility to cover or supplement any extra costs that are not included in the program fee (i.e. visas, personal expenses, etc.).