See Harvard College's 2022 Summer Funding Policy
For the latest information on Harvard College's Summer 2022 Summer Funding Policy, see oue.fas.harvard.edu/summer-2022-funding-policy
2022 Summer Funding Policy
Harvard College prioritizes the wide distribution of Summer funding to ensure that as many undergraduate students as possible can have a meaningful summer experience. For funded Summer 2022 experiences, students may only apply Harvard University funding to one Summer experience, regardless of duration of time (ex. only four weeks or a part-time effort). Co-funding between multiple sources of funding is permitted only if the funding jointly supports the same Summer experience.
Exceptions to the Summer Funding Policy are uncommon and will be reviewed on an individual basis; students should make exception requests to their Resident Dean, who will forward on to the Office of Undergraduate Education. All exceptions will be approved by the Office of Undergraduate Education.
Failure to adhere to the Harvard College Summer funding policy may result in a student being referred to the Administrative Board or Honor Council.
Harvard-Related Travel and Vaccination
As of December 2021, Harvard’s COVID travel policy states that students who are fully vaccinated and boosted by January 31, 2022, are able to travel both domestically and internationally (providing they adhere to all host-country requirements, and to Harvard’s student international travel policies). Unvaccinated students may petition the University to travel both internationally and domestically for in-person experiences.
OCS administers funding which supports students enrolled in Harvard Summer School (HSS) Study Abroad Programs. 2022 HSS programs will not have a remote option.
We encourage you to visit us for drop-ins on weekdays 1-4PM (virtual 1-3PM; in-person 3-4PM) if you have any questions about the application process.
- January 10, 2022 - Applications open for HSS Study Abroad Programs and OCS funding (separate applications)
- February 3, 2022 - Deadline to apply to HSS Study Abroad Programs and for OCS funding (separate applications)
- March 4, 2022 - Funding notifications go out on rolling basis
- March 7, 2022 - Deadline to accept or decline OCS funding award
Who Can Apply for Funding?
- Have not previously received money for study abroad (Harvard or non-Harvard)
- Are in good academic standing at time of application and at the end of the spring semester
- Are current Harvard College undergraduates, 1st-year through 1st semester senior
- Are enrolled full-time during Spring 2022
- Are planning to enroll in Fall 2022
**Preference will be given to students who have NOT received prior funding and for whom this is their last summer of college**
How to Apply
- Apply directly to the HSS Study Abroad Program(s) by February 3, 2022, 11:59pm ET. Program applications open January 10, 2022.
- Apply for funding in CARAT to the “OCS Funding Application for Harvard Summer School Study Abroad Programs" by February 3, 2022, 11:59pm ET with the following materials:
- Enroll in direct deposit. See direct deposit instructions
Notes about program preference and funding: If you are applying to two HSS study abroad programs, you only need to submit one OCS funding application in CARAT.
- In your CARAT application, list your first-choice program in the "Project Description Primary Location" field (city, country). List your second-choice program in the "Travel Secondary Location of Project" field (city, country).
- If you do not have a preference between the two programs, list the programs in any order and email email@example.com with subject heading "HSS study abroad funding - no preference"
How much is awarded?
- $1500 if student does not receive financial aid
- Cost of program and travel stipend for students receiving financial aid, as determined by OCS
Important note about award amounts:
- Due to high demand, OCS is only able to fund about 50% of eligible funding applications. – funding decisions are made by lottery and not based on financial need
- Not all students on financial aid are funded, and program admission does not guarantee funding
- Awards cannot be transferred to another HSS program or to another summer opportunity
- It is the student’s responsibility to cover any extra costs that are not included in the program fee (i.e. visas, personal expenses, etc.). See the “Costs & Expenses” section for each HSS program pages