OCS offers funding to support undergraduates pursuing summer research (including senior thesis) related to women, gender, and/or sexuality. Applicants must have a Harvard faculty supervisor who can provide sustained guidance for the duration of the summer project. Research may be conducted virtually or in-person, inside or outside of the United States.
Enrolled students from any concentration who are not graduating May 2022 are welcome to apply. Applications are due Thursday, March 24, 2022, 11:59pm ET.
Who Can Apply for Funding?
OCS can only fund students who are:
- In good standing
- Current Harvard College undergraduates, 1st-year through 1st semester senior during Spring 2022
- Enrolled full-time during Spring 2022
- Planning to enroll in Fall 2022
How Much is Awarded?
|Virtual only||In the U.S. (in-person)||Outside the U.S. (in-person)|
|14 days or less||$1,250||$1,250||$1,750|
|15 - 28 days||$2,500||$2,500||$3,500|
|29 - 42 days||$3,750||$3,750||$5,000|
|43 days or more||$5,000||$5,000||Country-level stipend for destination|
How to Apply:
- Enroll in direct deposit. See direct deposit instructions
Apply in CARAT to “OCS Women, Gender, and/or Sexuality Research Funding Application SU22 (WGS)” by March 24, 2022, 11:59pm ET with the following materials:
- One-page resume, PDF format (we recommend using OCS templates)
- Unofficial Transcript, PDF format (available under Grades tab, "View Unofficial Transcript" in my.harvard)
- Proof of Direct Deposit enrollment, PDF format. Submit a pdf screenshot from the "Student Accounts" section from my.harvard that shows you are enrolled in direct deposit (Download sample screenshot)
- Faculty Supervisor Form, PDF format (Download Faculty Supervisor Form template)
- Funding Category Request Form, PDF format (Download Funding Category Request Form template)
REQUIRED for in-person projects OUTSIDE the U.S. only: Complete ALL pre-departure requirements and submit forms to respective offices (some will be submitted online). Upload forms marked with an asterisk (*) with your CARAT application:
- Read Harvard COVID-19 travel policy
- Read Harvard College International travel policy
- Identify your destination's travel risk rating - students may not travel to countries or regions within countries where the risk rating is "high"
- Register your itinerary with International SOS - tentative dates and location (city, country) are sufficient prior to booking flight and lodging. You must update your itinerary with final flight and lodging information
- *Sign and submit travel waiver and release form* - include this with your CARAT application. PLEASE NOTE: Submit either the "College Students - Research of Study" or "College Students - Research or Study in Elevated Risk Destinations." ALL FIELDS MUST BE FILLED OUT, INCLUDING THE SITE SECTION.
- *Sign and submit COVID-19 vaccination attestation form* - include this with your CARAT application
- Submit the Harvard College Health Clearance packet. PLEASE NOTE: Health clearance packet must be delivered to Harvard University Health Services directly. Do not submit to OCS and do not upload with your application
- Watch the GSS Online Pre-departure Orientation
- If traveling to an elevated risk region, schedule an in-person or online orientation
- Submit online travel safety questionnaire - OCS requires this for all in-person independent funding applicants
- Schedule a consultation with Global Support Services - OCS requires this for all in-person independent funding applicants
- REQUIRED for in-person projects INSIDE the U.S. only: